Join us on Friday, April 12, 2019 for Veterans Impact Day and HKS Serves Spring 2019, offered in collaboration with the Student Public Service Collaborative, for an annual day of service that brings together veterans and civilians from the Harvard community.
This year, the Center for Public Leadership (CPL) and the Student Public Service Collaborative (SPSC) at HKS are partnering to create an opportunity for members of the Harvard Community to serve and connect with veterans and active duty service members at volunteer sites around the Greater Boston area. Please join us in creating conversations and relationships that will help bridge the civilian-military divide and assist veterans in need through a day of community service.
FRIDAY, APRIL 12, 2019
7:00-8:00 a.m. – Registration/Light Breakfast
8:00-9:15 a.m. – Kickoff Ceremony/Remarks
9:15-9:30 a.m. – Logistics/Departure
9:30-10:30 a.m. – Travel to Project Sites
10:30-2:30 p.m. – Project Site Volunteering Missions
2:30-3:00 p.m. – Travel to Harvard Square
3:00-5:00 p.m. – Celebration at Felipe's Taqueria
8:00 a.m. | NYE ABC, TAUBMAN 5TH FLOOR | BREAKFAST KICK-OFF: Start the day off right with a breakfast alongside your fellow volunteers, including a special welcome by Harvard University President Larry Bacow, CPL Director Amb. Wendy R. Sherman, and Belfer Center Director and former U.S. Secretary of Defense (2015-2017) Ash Carter!
9:30 a.m. | DAY OF SERVICE: Volunteers will engage in service work across Boston, from helping out at career workshops to serving patients at VA hospitals.
3:00 p.m. | POST-EVENT CELEBRATION AT FELIPE'S: Join fellow volunteers to debrief and reflect on the day at Felipe's in Harvard Square!
2018 Veterans Impact Day volunteers with CPL faculty co-director Brigadier General Dana Born, USAF (Ret.)
THIS YEAR'S SERVICE SITES
- VA JFK Administration Building - Career workshop for Vets (Boston, MA - Full Day)
- Father Bill's & Mainspring - Clean up/landscaping (Quincy, MA - Full Day)
- Cambridge Public Works - Urban forestry (Cambridge, MA - Full Day)
- VA Hospital (Fisher House) - Bedside visits or ground keeping (West Roxbury, MA - Full Day)
- Y2Y (Homeless Shelter) - Engaging with residents and staff (Cambridge, MA - Morning Only)
- Cradles to Crayons - Processing donations (Brighton, MA - Morning Only)
- Harvard Square Homeless Shelter - Engaging with residents and staff (Cambridge, MA - Morning Only)
- Room to Grow – Sorting and organizing donations for children supplies (Boston, MA - Morning Only)
- Daily Table - Preparing, packaging and organizing food donations (Dorchester, MA - Afternoon Only)
- On the Rise - Organizing and sorting donations (Cambridge, MA - Evening 5-7pm Shift Only)
Veterans Impact Day and HKS Serves Spring 2019 is sponsored by the Debra and Leon Black Family Foundation and the Student Public Service Collaborative at HKS.
* REGISTRATION CLOSES ON TUESDAY, APRIL 9 at 12:00 P.M. *
QUESTIONS? Please contact CPL_Events@hks.harvard.edu